ONE KEY TO LIVING HAPPY
Today is International Happiness Day, well I didn't know that until I saw the million and one quotes and 'happy' pictures being posted on the Instagram. The Action for Happiness pledge is ‘I will try to create more happiness in the world around me’, with the goal of creating a happier world together.
The truth is being happy especially in tough times like these can be a hard choice. I mean with the way the exchange rate is behaving, people losing their jobs and families falling apart, it takes a lot of work and a level of nonchalance to choose to be happy despite it all.
The Dalai Lama and other people around the world have taken action to increase wellbeing in homes, workplaces, schools and local communities. Their vision is a happier world, with fewer people suffering from mental health problems and more people feeling good, functioning well and helping others. There is also a guidebook with suggested 10 keys to happier living.
I say 'suggested' because we all know it's not that easy. If we could check boxes with how to be and remain happy, then the whole world would be a totally different place with everyone having a smile on their face.
Towards the end of 2016, I went through so much that made me very unhappy. Even while in labour, the nurse had to ask me why I was so unhappy, I faked a smile and told her I was in pain but the truth was my unhappiness wasn't from the contractions, it was from everything else going on in my life at that moment.
After having my daughter I had to find ways to stay genuinely happy because only real happiness lasts, no matter how much you fake a smile or laugh at jokes, the happenings of life will creep up on you and you'll be back into that hole again.
I learned to be happy with the assurance of the Word of God and becoming deliberate about that choice. And by deliberate I mean being able to remind myself that no matter how bad things were it would only get better. Some of my favorite 'happy' scriptures include:
- "The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”" Exodus 14:14 NLT
- "Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NLT
- "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." Philippians 4:6 NLT
- "Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NLT
- "For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NLT
These scriptures remind me to stay calm and trust God even in the toughest of times, even when people may have betrayed me or my bank account is not showing me the figures that I would like to see, all I need to do is Trust God.
That is my one key to living happy, TRUSTING GOD
Have a Happy International Happiness Day :)